X-Ray Optics Research
I am working on a project with Prof. David Allred and a group of undergraduate
and graduate students that began with designing and testing a mirror for the
Medium Exploror (MIDEX) Program. Our mirror was part of a device for imaging
the upper atmosphere from space at a wavelength of 304 Angstroms. The mirror
we designed was to have a relatively high reflectivity at 304 Angstroms (>20%)
and a low reflectivity at 584 Angstroms (<0.2%). The research involves
computer aided optical design, multi-layer mirror fabrication, measurement
of optical properties of materials, and design and fabrication of test and
measurement components. The mirror was incorporated in the instrument being
built by the Optical Sciences Center at the University of Arizona. After
testing, the instrument was integrated with others in the payload and launched
in early 2000.
My students and I are responsible for optical design and other computational
aspects of the program. In addition we built a reflectometer for measuring
optical properties of XUV optics and coatings. Recently, we designed and built
an XUV polarimeter to enable us to accurately determine optical constants
in this wavelength regime.
Our group uses the Advanced Light Source at Lawrence
Berkeley Lab for some of our research.
Publications and Presentations
- Greg Hart
- Utah Academy Paper (Best Paper Award, 2013) in PDF format.
- Todd Doughty
- Senior Thesis in PDF format
- Cleaning Papers and Presentations
- David Allred's 2003 American Vacuum Society Presentation (Nov 2003)
- Jed Johnson Presentation in PDF format or
Power Point format
- English 316 Presentation in PDF format or
Power Point format.
- Ross Robinson's Senior Thesis in Microsoft Word format or
- Joseph Muhlestein
- RMNSGC 2008 Poster PDF
- Honors Thesis PDF
- 2003 SRI Poster PDF Power Point
- Marie Urry
- LLNL Presentation in PDF format or
Power Point format.
- Marie Urry's Senior Thesis in PDF format or Word format.
- 2003 Alumni Poster. PDF
- Kristi Adamson
- David Oliphant's MS Thesis, 12/00
- Shannon Lunt
- Matt Squires
- Matt McDonald's Senior Thesis
- thesis in PDF format
- thesis in Word format
- data in PDF format
- data in Excel format
- data in text format
- Ryan Camacho's Senior Thesis
- Raymond Rios' thesis in PDF format
or Word format.
- Niki Farnsworth Brimhall's thesis in PDF format.
- 2002 SPIE Paper on Optics for Astrophysical Applications
- 2003 SPIE Paper on Comparison of UO and Nickel
- IMAGE Satelite presentation made to the SLC Astronomical
Society, February 2001: PDF HTML
- How Thick is My Oxide, MRS 2002 Fall Meeting (Boston)
- Guillermo Acosta's Abruptor Poster PowerPoint File
Spring Research Conference Presentations (2003)
- Elke Jackson, "Rectifying Data Differences:
ALS vs. Monochromator" PDF
- Luke Bissell, "Determining Ruthenium's
Optical Constants in the Extreme Ultraviolet"
PDF Power Point
Spring Research Conference Presentations (2002)
- Elke Jackson, "Monochromator Improvements
- Fabian Walter, "Obtaining soft x-ray
constants across the 2p edge in Fe films by resonant magnetic
scattering experiments of polarized soft X-rays"
- Nick Webb, "Oxidations Rates of Vandium"
- Raymond Rios, "Building and Testing an
- Ryan Anderson, "Dual Mirror Optical System
for use with Grazing Incidence Spectrograph"
- Shannon Lunt, "Optical Properties
of Thin-film Uranium Oxide in the XUV"
Data Analysis Links
Thorium transmission database
Data log information from July, 2004 runs
Data files on log books, dark current analysis,
growth run sheets, and window materials.
Circuit diagram for Octagonal chamber control box.
JFIT Fitting Program
PDF Users Guide and Installation Guide
zip file for Windows or Linux Installation